Summary of “The Last Days of John Allen Chau”

The consulate, Pathak said, had been contacted by an American woman, the mother of “One Mr. John Allen Chau about her son’s visit to North Sentinel Island and attack by the tribesmen.” Upon receiving the e-mail, “a missing report was immediately registered” and a “Detailed enquiry was initiated.” Within hours, Pathak’s detectives reported back that Chau “Allegedly got killed at North Sentinel Island during his misplaced adventure in the highly restricted area while trying to interact with the uncontacted people who have a history of vigorous rejection towards outsiders.”
Returning a day later, they saw “a dead person being buried at the shore which from the silhouette of the body, clothing and circumstances appeared to be the body of John Allen Chau.” Pathak had arrested all five fishermen, plus two more men from Port Blair, all of whom, he wrote, helped Chau travel to North Sentinel despite knowing “Fully well about the illegality of the action and the hostile attitude of the Sentinelese tribesmen to the outsiders.” In their defense, the fishermen stated that “The deceased … without any pressure or undue influence from any corner, had volunteered to visit North Sentinel Island for preaching Christianity to the aboriginal tribe.”
In late December, comedian Frankie Boyle wrapped up his prime-time show on the BBC with a monologue imagining a Sentinelese warrior splitting Chau’s penis in half, speculating that his rib cage was now being used as “a monkey’s xylophone,” and suggesting that John Allen Chau would achieve immortality as “The patron saint of daft cunts.”
John Chau was the son of an unlikely couple, Patrick Chau and Lynda Adams-Chau.
John Middleton Ramsey, who met John on an evangelical tour of Israel in 2015, concedes that whether you buy John’s reasoning comes down to whether you share his faith.
Behind a bamboo bar is a calendar whose cover features a silhouette of a lone hiker at dawn: John Chau.
His failure, the detective said, explains why four days after arriving in Port Blair on October 16, John caught a ten-hour ferry to the island of Little Andaman, where he stayed for two weeks, attempting several times to visit the Onge reserve at Dugong Creek.
According to a second detective who investigated John’s death, the group told officers that John was “fascinated” by the story of John Richardson.

The orginal article.